Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Madden NFL 09

I am taking a day off from training. I am not a fan of food right now. Weighed myself at the gym yesterday and was tipping the scale at 194lbs. No wonder my knees and ankles feel pain while running on the treadmill. This does not make me sexy or feel athletic at all.

Here we are on eve of Madden NFL 09 release. There's lot of hype about how much of a badass game this is. These so-called, "Maddenites," are super-competitive gamers. They literally eat, sleep, & breathe Madden. If you don't believe me, check out "Madden Nation," running on weeknights on ESPN2 from time to time where they square off for $100K grand prize or whatever. Some argue that video gaming has become a sport.


Brett Favre freezing his buttocks off in Madden 09

That brings me to my daydreaming question of the day... If video gaming is considered a sport and the gamers are athletes, wouldn't MLE(Major League Eating) be considered a sport and its eaters are athletes? Competitive eating does offer cash prizes, trophies, & glory just like video game tournaments. Except I believe it's on a grander scale. Yes, MLE has 4th of July Nathan's spectacle on ESPN while Madden has ESPN2 on a off-peak hours as I mentioned earlier. How many video game champs can you name? MLE is quickly becoming a household sport. Besides, what kind of physical pain do gamers endure? Can they match the pain of indigestion, nausea, risk of choking, or any other discomfort these gurgitators suffer even long after the event? I guess my point is competitive eaters are definitely more of athletes and they belong to bigger sport. I have nothing against gamers since I'm also an avid gamer. I'm also not vouching for competitive eating to be included in the olympics either. I do not consider neither to be a legitimate sport. What's next, competitive sleeping? But as long as there are dummies out there considering both of these physique-imparing activities to be sports, then call me Bo Jackson of eating/gaming!


"Bo Knows"

No comments: